Cause what the world needs now is a new kind of tension.
Like the new digs?
Settle in, put your feet up. Whittle some!
Welcome to the new HardwoodParoxysm.com, now a part of the ESPN TrueHoop Network of blogs. It’s been forever getting here, and we’re really excited to be here. We’ve switched to a snazzier format with more bells and whistles and a more fancy lookin’ layout.
Here’s what’s the same.
- It’s still Matt, Corndogg, and Rob with Graydon. Trey will also be doing his Trey thing. Because it’s Trey.Â In the next few months we’ll be adding more columnists, so be on the look out for that. Our goal is to be the D-League of the NBA Blogosphere. We want the best young writers to have a place to stretch their wings and throw rocks at people. Or fly. Depending on how they feel.
- Same tone. It should be noted that the banner you see up top does not equate editorial control of any kind, and the reason we’re here is that this network is about bringing our kind of commentary to a wider audience. So never fear. We’ll still be hating on Vince Carter as much as always and irrationally praying for Tyrus Thomas to live up to his potential.
- Same features. The 15 Footer, the game thoughts, even some picture captions will be headed your way.
Here’s what’s new:
- In the next week we’ll be unveiling the Podcast Paroxysm, our very own podcast. We look forward to failing to live up to the bar of The Basketball Jones in every way.
- We’ve got Twitter. We’ve got Tumblr. We’ve got bells and whistles and all sorts of cool stuff we’re itching to try out.
- And we’re a part of a great network. We’re tremendously excited to be joining sites like Hornets 24-7, ClipperBlog, Forum Blue and Gold, and 48 Minutes of Hell (written by our own Graydon Gordian). This has been a long time coming and we’re thrilled to be associated with such great writers.
Now, there will probably be a lot of questions about the four letters at the top of this site. It was a hard decision for us, and one we probably wouldn’t have made it this great opportunity hadn’t been presented the way it was. Henry Abbott of TrueHoop has always been a great supporter of ours, and a good friend to talk blogging and the league with. When he approached us, he did so with the right attitude to make this venture a success. Henry, in short, gets it. He’s supportive of the blogosphere and the idea that there’s room enough for all of us to have a voice out here. There has never been any pushback from ESPN with anyone we’ve talked to about editorial content or control, nor have we been treated as second class because we’re a blog. The media landscape is changing, and we’re a part of that. Furthermore, one of the things I realized when I stopped and looked at it is how incredible ESPN.com’s NBA staff is. Marc Stein, John Hollinger, Chad Ford, these are all names I know and respect. To be affiliated with them is an honor, even if our association is far from formal.
I want to thank Henry for the opportunity and his vision, Kevin Arnovitz for helping get everything together and being there for all our questions, ESPN for the respect and professionalism they’ve shown through this process, and all the bloggers I asked for advice along the way. I also want to thank the HP staff for being so excited and supportive during this process, and for keeping me excited through everything. I want to thank Tebow for granting us this opportunity and Pau Gasol for his continuing inability to effectively dunk the ball. I want to thank Dwyane Wade for being awesome and the entire league for being bloggable. I want to thank my wife for putting up with all this, God knows how. Not like we’re rolling in Benzes or anything.
I especially want to thank our developer of HardwoodParoxysm.com, Josh Tucker, for his work on this site. He’s done a top notch job, and his vision and drive was what got us here. Without him, I’d still be manually tweaking blogger formats and trying to figure out what a widget is. Josh is a tremendous blogging talent himself, and he brings even more to the table as a developer. If HP is my baby, he’s the one that helped raise it up into whatever demonic freak it’s become.
Corn would give his thanks, but he’s intoxicated somewhere in Washington, D.C. You know, like you do.
If you’re new, we’ll tell you right now. We won’t always be right, but we’ll usually be pretty entertaining. We don’t pull punches and we don’t like the Lakers (though we fear Kobe. Lots and lots.). We preview every game every day in our 15 Footer and we arbitrarily make up nicknames. We hope you’ll join us in the future. Should be…well, something.
Finally, I want to thank all the readers and bloggers that gave us support. J.E. Skeets, Kelly Dwyer, Tom Ziller, Matt Watson, Brett “Edwards,” Will Brinson, Trey Kerby and a hundred more that hopefully know how much I appreciate their efforts. All the readers and commenters, I hope you’ll be with us as we begin HP 2.0. Let’s get Nova.
Ladies and Gentlemen, HardwoodParoxysm.com.
Oh,and Vince Carter sucks.