(Sachari) was arrested in Sardinia on Thursday, Carlos Puigdemont was released on Friday and allowed to leave Italy, although according to his lawyer, the Catalan independence leader was prosecuted in 2017 for his role in the secession attempt, although justice in this country has not yet settled the claim filed by Spain.
Appreciated by his supporters, the former Catalan regional leader was released from prison on Friday in Sardinia.
According to his Italian lawyer Agostinangelo Maras, he has been allowed to leave Italy as he is scheduled to appear on October 4. The prosecutor had previously said the decision to deport him could take “weeks”.
Spain will never miss an absurd opportunity.
Carlos Puigdemont, left the court
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has called on the independence leader to visit the island of La Palma where the volcano erupted. Carlos Puigdemont, who fled to Belgium where he lived in 2017, insisted he “must submit to Spanish justice” to escape prosecution.
Mr Pugtimont, 58, was arrested on Thursday evening when he arrived at the Alghero airport.
The arrest angered Catalan separatists, with hundreds of them protesting Friday in front of the Italian consulate in Barcelona (northeastern Spain). Other calls to demonstrate were launched Friday evening or Sunday.
Monica, 33, who took part in Friday morning’s demonstration, said, “This is another example of Spain’s repression of Catalan politicians.”
Catalan separatist leader Pere Aragones convened an emergency meeting of his government and demanded the “immediate release of Carlos Puigdemont”.
“Public apology is the only way. Self-determination is the only solution,” he wrote on Twitter on Thursday evening.
Accused of “treason.”
Carles Puigdemont is still being sued by Spanish courts, accusing him of “treason” and “embezzling public funds.”
In March 2018, at the request of Spain, he was first arrested in Germany. But he was released a few days later. Since 2019 the MEP has benefited for some time from the independence parliamentary immunity, but the European Parliament elevated it by a large majority on March 9th. An action upheld by the European Court of Justice on July 30.
But the decision of the European Parliament is subject to appeal, and the final decision on the eligibility of its EU judge should be announced “at a later date”. Mr. Puigdimond’s attorney, Gonzalo Boy, considers the decision of parliament to be “suspended”, the application for an arrest warrant, and his client still to benefit from his immunity.
Towards the new crisis?
This affair, which comes at a time of relative relaxation, raises the risk of a new crisis between Madrid and the separatists.
In June, the Sanchez government arrested nine pro-independence leaders in 2017 and sentenced them to prison in 2019, after a historic trial.
The Spanish government resumed talks with the regional separatist government on September 15, aimed at resolving the separatist crisis in Catalonia.
On Friday, Mr. Sanchez said today that “the importance of dialogue” is “greater than ever”, while Mr Aragonese ruled that it did not “help resolve the conflict” in Catalonia.
Catalonia’s secession attempt in October 2017 was one of the worst crises Spain has experienced since the end of the Franco dictatorship in 1975.
Despite the ban on justice, Mr. The Puigdemont-led regional government organized a referendum that was halted by police violence, and a few weeks later declared a stillbirth.
Madrid took control of the region and responded by arresting key leaders of the independence movement who had not fled abroad.
“Prone to fits of apathy. Introvert. Award-winning internet evangelist. Extreme beer expert.”