An aerial photograph of six dead giraffes, stacked on top of each other on the barren red ground outside Irib village, Kenya, has become a symbol of the devastation caused by the drought in the East African nation. The shocking photo re-launched in the media, which went viral, was taken by photojournalist Ed Ram. Getty Images reported that the animals, who were already weak, died after getting stuck in the mud, just as they were trying to reach a nearby tank, had nearly dried up. The African artiodactyl mammal is the tallest land animal and the largest ruminant in existence.
All the suffering, even deadly, caused by the lack of water, an essential asset, is present in this extremely powerful shot depicting the emaciated, tangled bodies of the six giraffes killed by a prolonged drought in the Sapoli Wildlife Sanctuary. To avoid contamination of the local water tank, their bodies were taken to the gates of Drama Irib village in Wajir County in Kenya’s North Eastern Province.
According to local newspaper Star News, drought could kill 4,000 giraffes, but it’s not just animals that are at risk. Ibrahim Ali, from the Giraffe Sanctuary in Bor Elji, said the situation had deteriorated due to farming along the rivers, which prevented wildlife from reaching irrigation points.
In northern Kenya, drought devours everything: swathes of cattle carcass cooking in the sun. horrific pictures
The Kenya Drought Management Authority estimates that about 2.1 million people suffer from starvation due to severe drought in half of the country. At the same time, some areas of Kenya are experiencing the heaviest rainfall in recent decades. For the United Nations, there are currently still 2.9 million Kenyans in need of urgent humanitarian assistance.
“Water sources for both people and livestock have dried up, forcing families to travel long distances and causing tensions between communities, leading to an increase in inter-communal conflicts,” the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.
Follow LaZampa.it on Facebook (click here)And Twitter (click here) e Instagram (click here)
Do not miss the best news and stories from Lazamba, Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter (click here)
– Moralist: “Unlike the bear playing with the dog: the irresponsibility of the owner can turn into a tragedy”
– “Here’s How Dogs Saved Us From Depression During The Covid Pandemic”
– Police hypothesis study confirms: London cat killer was not a human, but a fox
– The happy ending for Romeo, the rickety cat who has returned to his family
– The story of Nina, a bitch of a homeless man, who survived a serious injury to the womb
– Here is Guaco, the life partner (and footballer) of his blind owner
– Hoi An is the first city in Vietnam to ban the sale of cat and dog meat
– A Turkish truck driver travels with a rescued three-month-old kitten after being thrown out of the car
– The manager prevents the trainee from going to see her dying cat, and her classmates resign in protest
– 14-month-old sees a dog for the first time in his life, and the reaction is amazing
– A cat without teeth but with an extra chromosome is looking for someone to accept it as it is
– Falling off a cliff and surviving a cold night in Genoa: The happy ending story of Matteo, Jack Russell’s 14-year-old dog
– In Gaza, the shelter uses toy cars and bicycle wheels to help paralyzed cats and dogs
– Left chow chow dog on the balcony for several days dying of cold in Prato منطقة
– The story of Gigliola, a mouflon puppy who was orphaned on the island of Giglio
– Dogs were mutilated to follow a trend on social media and then sold in staggering numbers, shocking realization
– The palace in Ravanosa collapsed, so the Labrador Luna recognized the victims
– Piglet Lilika has grown into a giant, but her owner still loves him
– “I was attacked and bitten by 20 otters, I thought I was going to die,” the story of the attack in Singapore
– A cat sends her boyfriend out of the house while he’s away, and a woman gets the same treatment
– A prize for Page, the dog who kept a soldier’s secret in Afghanistan. After the boy’s death, he is now the consolation of his family
– Find the types of animals and plants that live and thrive in the largest plastic heap in the Pacific Ocean
– So the life of a cat and her kittens has changed, and now she is just waiting for a Christmas present
– From hamsters to hippos, many animals infected with the Covid virus and vaccines are arriving in zoos. Vets: ‘No need for cats and dogs if you’re positive’
– A cat trapped in a hatch for a week is adopted by the firefighter who rescued it
– A British autopsy of a Geronimo alpaca revealed no evidence of bovine tuberculosis. Angry owner: he was tortured“
– Chips’ happy ending story: In a photo on social media, the owner finds her dog stolen from her in France
– Dogs understand an average of 89 words, some up to 215 words
– Throwing a bag out of the truck, there’s a dog inside. La Polstrada attends and condemns the scene
– Motorcyclists ride over a small seal on an English beach, looking for criminals
– When sleeping with your dog becomes a problem: Here are the most common causes of ‘divorce’
– Illegal puppy trafficking: 48 dogs and 2 cats kidnapped on the highway in a pickup truck from Hungary
– There is a dog in a frozen lake, two Spanish agents brave the cold and save them
– A couple affected by Covid lost their cat, but Claude finally came home
– So the cat Terry did not want to leave the coffin of his deceased young owner
– To get rid of the dog, they first stabbed him and then ran over him with a car. but he survived
– Epic of Bella the dog adopted by an Italian soldier in Kuwait
“Freelance social media evangelist. Organizer. Certified student. Music maven.”
Ukraine Live – Putin: “In July tactical nuclear weapons will be deposited in Belarus.” Erdogan: “Negotiate and stop the war immediately”
Who is he and the case that reminds us of Navalny
China has not provided weapons to Russia.