Washington, USA | Joe Biden warned on Saturday that an attack on Kabul airport “within 24 to 36 hours” was “most likely”, while the US strike that killed two ISIS operatives was not “the last”.
Also read: Afghan Burrs who want to forget Ottawa
“The situation in the area is very dangerous and the threat of a terrorist attack at the airport is high,” the US president wrote in a statement after meeting with his military and security advisers.
“Our commanders told me that the attack could take place within 24 to 36 hours.”
More than 100 people, including 13 U.S. soldiers, were killed in Thursday’s attack near Kabul airport.
The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a U.S. military base.
Two “key targets”, “organizers” and “operators” of the EI-K group were killed and another wounded in a US drone strike in Afghanistan, the Pentagon announced Saturday.
Washington did not release their names.
“I said we would hunt down the group that was responsible for the attack on our soldiers and innocent civilians in Kabul, and we did,” Biden said in his statement.
“This strike is not the last. We will continue to hunt down any person involved in this heinous attack and pay them,” he added.
The Pentagon has released the identities of 13 soldiers killed in Thursday’s attack on Saturday afternoon. Of these, five are 20 years old, the longest war in the United States, launched in 2001 in Afghanistan.
“Their courage and benevolence have so far allowed more than 117,000 people at risk to keep themselves safe,” said Joe Biden, who has been leaving Afghanistan since the end of July.
According to the Pentagon, their remains were on their way to the United States on Saturday, with no indication of when they would arrive.
More details will come.
“Prone to fits of apathy. Introvert. Award-winning internet evangelist. Extreme beer expert.”