- 51 points. After a day of career-highs yesterday, Terrence Ross continued the trend by dropping 51 points to set a new personal high as well as tie the Raptors’ franchise record (set by Vince Carter back in 2000). He shot 16-29, including 10-17 from three, and also grabbed 9 rebounds. It was a truly remarkable performance. While Carmelo Anthony scoring 62 yesterday was incredibly impressive, it wasn’t that surprising. Melo scores points. That’s what he does. Ross, however, was averaging less than 10 points a game coming into last night’s matchup. In just his second year, Ross has a lot of potential, and last night he made sure everyone knows it.
- Besides just Ross’ performance, last night’s Clippers-Raptors game was a blast. Jamal Crawford went nuts off the bench, scoring 37 points and handing out 11 assists, Steve Novak scored a basket off the dribble (I’M SERIOUS) and J.J. Redick caught [fire emoji] in the 4th quarter. I think Zach Lowe said it best.
Raps-Clips is absolute madness.
— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) January 26, 2014
- The Grizzlies beat the Rockets for the second straight night last night, moving to 5-1 since Marc Gasol returned. All of a sudden they’re just one and a half games out of a postseason spot and Gasol isn’t even back to his old self yet. They’re going to make the playoffs and one of the top seeds is going to be very unhappy when they have to face grit ‘n’ grind in the first round.
- The Chicago Bulls picked up yet another win last night, and they’re now 10-3 in January. Even without Rose, and now without Deng they just continue to grind out wins. They have had a rather easy schedule however, and it’s unlikely that Joakim Noah, Jimmy Butler and all kinds of effort will be enough to beat teams like the Timberwolves, Spurs, and Warriors, all of whom the Bulls face in the coming weeks. Still, regardless of who they had to play, it’s impressive what they’ve been able to do so shorthanded.
- The Nuggets picked up a surprising win over the Pacers last night and both Nate Robinson and Timofey Mozgov chipped in 15 points off the bench. Plus, they combined for this fancy basket. Last night was “Good Nate,” and “Good Nate” is fun.
- And one final note: Drake posted this picture of Kevin Durant doing the OVO hand gesture on Instagram. He really does have the whole country on a new wave.