- In a surprising move, Marc Gasol made his return last night as the Grizzlies took on the Thunder. He scored 12 points and grabbed 4 rebounds over just 24 minutes of action, as the Grizzlies picked up a big time win, 90-87. That’s now three wins in a row for the Grizz as they try to fight back to .500 and move closer to a playoff berth. With a matchup against the Bucks scheduled for tonight, they look primed to move back to .500. Of course it will take a few games for Gasol to get back to his old self, but it’s just great having Wendigo (© @HPBasketball) on the court again.
- Staying with this Grizzlies-Thunder game, check out this split of a double team by Mike Conley. (.gif courtesy of @HPBasketball) Just incredible quickness and footwork to pull that off. Conley, by the way, finished with 19 points and 7 assists, continuing his impressive season.
- The Bobcats snapped the Knicks winning streak last night with a 108-98 victory behind a monster game from Al Jefferson. Big Al scored 35 points and grabbed 8 rebounds in his best performance of the year. Also, no J.R. Smith for the Knicks in this one, once again picking up a DNP-Coach’s Decision. Now that it’s January 15, Smith is eligible to be traded, but it’s unlikely given his reputation.
- The Lakers and Cavaliers had an exciting matchup last night, with the Cavs eventually pulling out the win, 120-118. Full highlights of this one are worth checking out, especially for some swaggy shots by Nick Young, who finished with 28 points and 6 assists off the bench. Kendall Marshall also picked up a ton more assists, finishing with 16 on the night. For the Cavs, Anderson Varejao stepped up big time, dropping 18 points and grabbing 18 rebounds.
- Speaking of the Cavs, this graphic from SB Nation is pretty depressing. It shows the rookie season PER’s of every number one overall pick in the last 24 years. Look at how far down Anthony Bennett is. At this point, he needs to be sent down to the D-League, especially if he isn’t even going to play.
— SB Nation NBA (@SBNationNBA) January 14, 2014
- And finally, one last thing for today. Last night, friend of the program, Eric Buenning tweeted out a plea that we #NeverForget the Bucks doing a Starbucks Drake Hands parody. And to be honest, I had forgotten about the video, but it’s fantastic so definitely check it out and #NeverForget about it.
— Eric Buenning (@ericbuenning) January 15, 2014