Welcome all stat geeks! “Box Score Bulletin’” is sifting through, analyzing and summarizing all of the NBA box scores from the previous day and night, so you don’t have to! So sip your coffee and enjoy the good, the bad and the ugly…
Nets (1-0) 108 @ 76ers (1-1) 105 – OT
- Leading scorers: BKN – Brook Lopez, C.J. Watson 19, PHI – Nick Young 21.
- The “Brooklyn” Nets won their very first NBA game, with the ironic twist that the game was actually played in New Jersey. The Nets three biggest acquisitions (Johnson, Watson and Blatche) combined for 46 points on 16-29 (55%) shooting.
- Rookie Mirza Teletovic did not fair as well. He shot 2-11 from behind the arc and 2-13 overall.
- Even through Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner shot a combined 9-29 from the field (24 points), they did contribute elsewhere with 13 rebounds and 12 assists.
- An important non-stat: Andrew Bynum, 0 minutes played… again.
Knicks (2-0) 98 @ Celtics (1-2) 95 – OT
- Leading scorers: NYK – Carmelo Anthony 23, BOS – Jared Sullinger 14.
- The Knicks hung on the for the win, but it certainly wasn’t because of their long range shooting or their points in transition. They were 3-29 (10%) from 3-point range and had only 2 fast break points.
- Rookie Chris Copeland, hoping to make the team, contributed 21 points, all in the 2nd half.
Wizards (1-2) 99 @ Cavaliers (2-2) 95
- Leading scorers: WAS – Bradley Beal, Jordan Crawford, Brian Cook 14, CLE – Tristan Thompson 18.
- Jordan Crawford (who once claimed he could be better than Michael Jordan) could potentially lead this team in field goal attempts… he loves to put ‘em up. He went 5-16 in this game and put up almost double the shot attempts than any other teammate.
- The Cavs must be happy to see the numbers Tristan Thompson put up. He had an impressive 18 points, 10 rebounds and 4 blocks.
- After shooting 3-13 in this game, Kyrie Irving is now shooting 11-46 (24%) in 4 preseason games.
Bulls (1-2) 75 @ Timberwolves (2-1) 82
- Leading scorers: CHI – Kirk Hinrich 15, MIN – Nikola Pekovic 16.
- What an ugly game. The teams combined to shoot 47-135 (35%), including 7-29 (24%) from long distance.
- Double doubles from: Joakim Noah – 14 pts, 13 rebs and Nikola Pekovic – 16 pts, 17 rebs.
Pistons (1-2) 91 @ Bucks (2-0) 108
- Leading scorers: DET – Andre Drummond 19, MIL – Ersan Ilyasova 22.
- While everone wants to hand the award to Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond as a serious opporuntity to make a run at Rookie of the Year. If he consistently produces double doubles like in this game (19 pts, 10 rebs), he’ll be right there.
- Speaking of rookies, how about John Henson? 12 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 blocks in 27 minutes off the bench.
- The Bucks had 14 blocked shots in the game (Henson 4, Tobias Harris 4, Larry Sanders 5).
Jazz (2-1) 99 @ Lakers (0-3) 86
- Leading scorers: UTA – Marvin Williams, Enes Kanter 14, LAL – Kobe Bryant 18.
- Enes Kanter with another beastin’ double double: 14 points, 14 rebounds.
- Rookie Robert Sacre got another start and posted 9 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks.
- Kobe led all scorers with 18, most of which came from the free throw line (12-14). He also chipped in with 8 rebounds, 5 assists and a couple of steals.