I’m racking my brains over yogurt and granola (Hey, it’s SoCal, that’s how breakfast is done), trying to recall a team being 23 games over .500, with 2 players averaging over 25 ppg on 49+% shooting (and a 3rd giving you 18+ on 48% shooting? YIKES.), playing for a universally respected GM and a lauded coach, and STILL be the laughingstock of the NBA. The Cleveland Cavaliers are 12-50, the hapless New Jersey Nets have a center averaging 6 rebounds a game, but the media is blazing on the Heat like they caught Charlie Sheen wearing a swastika while staging illegal puppy vs baby fights.
THe Heat aren’t terrible, nor are the Heat truly elite. I respect the concept they all shot for; young, playing with good friends, supremely talented, Miami life, who WOULDN’T want that? THe blueprint is flawed, though; 3 excellent pieces along with a hodge-podge collection of role players around them and no clear cut offensive roles (“ISO” isn’t a role) all add up to recipe for disappointment.
Crying? I understand losing a tough game 7 in the Finals, or being eliminated after a hard fought battle for the 8th seed. I just don’t think grown men should let self inflicted pressure make them CRY after losing a regular season game.
Time for another Twitter round-up! As always, click the name to see the originator’s Twitter page!
- Zach McCann of the Orlando Sentinel’s Magic BasketBlog tweeted the Stan Van Gundy hammer-quote that hits the nail on the head regarding the both the media and fans’ indictment of the Heat.
“If you don’t want the scrutiny, you don’t hold a championship celebration before you’ve even practiced together.”
- Sam Smith over at Bulls.com had a definitive recap that pretty much summed up the Bulls vs Heat match-up. Super Egos Vs Team Ethos. We see who’s winning this one.
- Jason McIntyre of TheBigLead.com starts off his Sunday recap with the Miami Meltdown; I added this because of 2 things: the incredible Rose highlights and the comments are hilarious.
- Tom Ziller writes from inside of my head, asking all the questions I’m sure 99% of NBA fans are asking about the Miami Heat- from 7 ‘chip talk to crying after games. How did it get so bad?
- I saw this a couple of places, but LastAngryFan.com’s Jeff Greenwell latest post rings so true; this “clutch reel” is almost sad.
- The sometimes controverial, always worth-the-read Jason Whitlock gets analytical, Clue-style: Who REALLY was crying in the Heat locker room?
- Posted by Alan Hahn : At least one person sympathizes with Coach Spo and the Heat’s #StruggleFace. Kim Martin of Newday.com on which high profile coach is feeling Coach Spoelstra’s pain.
- Joe Simmons of BullCityStateOfMind.com poses a question to Miami: Who ARE you?
- Yahoo! Sports Adrian Wojnarowski knocks it out with insight into the psyche of Dywane Wade and LBJ as the pressure builds. Wade, what’s the deal?
Finally, a dope tidbit from @2131andBeyond:
Are the Heat in trouble? Nah. They won’t win a ‘ship this year, and after the gargantuan expectations they placed on themselves (and our imaginations endowed them with), this season has been somewhat of a letdown. With a few shrewd moves, Riley will have this team banging on the door. But man, the soap opera needs to take a back seat to just basketball.
Questions? Love it? Hate it? Leave a comment, or hit me on Twitter @SnottieDrippen !